Thursday, January 13, 2005

Significant changes to PubMed in this new year : My NCBI replaces CUBBY feature

-----Original Message-----
From: Berryman, Donna [mailto:Donna.Berryman@umassmed.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 10:26 AM
To: NAHSL-L
Subject: Big changes coming for PubMed
Importance: High

I just received the following email and feel it is important enough to forward on to everyone. Please read on:
----------
Yesterday NLM published two articles describing upcoming changes to PubMed.

*NLM Technical Bulletin, January-February 2004, My NCBI Replaces the Cubby: Includes Automatic E-mailing of Search Updates and Filters

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/jf05/jf05_myncbi.html

*NLM Technical Bulletin, January-February 2004, New Look for PubMed Screen
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/jf05/jf05_tabs.html

Early next week, users who subscribe to NLM-Announces (http://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=nlm-announces&A=1) will see these notices plus a third that will provide the dates of the conversion.

The article explaining My NCBI is very long as there are many items to point out regarding saving searches and the new filters feature.

Whereas the Cubby was used by many librarians to manually generate updates for patrons, My NCBI has the added ability of providing automatic e-mailing of updates to a single e-mail address per account. We hope that librarians will help patrons to set up their own accounts.

As always, questions concerning PubMed can be e-mailed to custserv@nlm.nih.gov.

---------------

As I am just receiving this news, too, I'll be spending some time today reading the articles mentioned above. However, please feel free to direct questions my way, too, if you wish. I'll do what I can to assist you.

Automatic emailing of search updates from the Cubby -- oops, from My NCBI! Will wonders never cease?! Happy New Year!

Donna Berryman, MLIS
Outreach Coordinator
New England Region, NN/LM
--------------------------------------
phone: 508-856-5962 or 1-800-338-7657
fax: 508-856-5977
--------------------------------------
U Mass Med School
222 Maple Avenue, Rose Gordon Building
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Donna.Berryman@umassmed.edu

No comments: